The Review was founded in 1933 by a group of young British and American economists. It is published quarterly by The Review of Economic Studies Ltd, whose objective is to encourage research in theoretical and applied economics, especially by young economists, and to publish the results in the journal. Since its inception the Board of Editors of the Review of Economic Studies has functioned independently of any university department or learned society. An electronic copy of the founding document setting out the rules according to which the Board and the Journal would operate is available, as is a transcribed version.
The inaugural meeting of the Board of Editors took place on the afternoon of Tuesday 17th January 1933 and was hosted by the London School of Economics. At this meeting the Board elected the theorist Harold Barger as its first chairman and the founding Managing Editors were Abba Lerner, Walter Rudlin and Paul Sweezy. The other founding members of the board were Solomon Adler, R. Allen, Ralph Arakie, A. Emanuel, L. Fraser, R. Goldsmith, John Hicks, W. Handler, M. Joseph, Nicholas Kaldor, A. Neumann, Joan Robinson, C. Walker and Ursula Webb Hicks.
In the more than eight decades since the founding of the Review the Board of Editors expanded to include scholars in all areas of Economics based at universities around the world. A directory of current and past Board Members is available. The information provided is accurate to the best knowledge of the current directors, but those with corrections or other relevant information are encouraged to contact the directors via the Editorial Office at email@example.com.